Written By Melvin Tunstall III
This is your one month call, TheaterMakers. ONE MONTH until The 2021 TheaterMakers Summit!
My first TheaterMakers Summit experience was as a panelist. Because I was in a Broadway show at the time I was only able to be a part of day one, but the few hours I spent with the TheaterMakers family had a lasting effect on my career- eventually leading to the great opportunity of writing this blog and a brand new musical.
Simply put, the TheaterMakers Summit will CHANGE YOUR LIFE (insert Wicked musical accompaniment here) for good!
This year’s summit is shaping up to be our BIGGEST and BEST yet. Though you can bet your money we will be checking out every panel we can, today we’ve chosen FIFTEEN panels that have us counting down the days!
1. How You Get Me To Produce Your Show: Tony Award-winning Lead Producers Tell All
With STEPHEN C. BYRD and TOM KIRDAHY
Ever wonder what goes through the mind of a Lead Producer on Broadway? How do they choose materials? Where do they find new musicals and plays? Do they take submissions? Hear what’s really going on inside the minds of our industry’s leading professionals when they’re looking for new work.
2. Creating the World of Your Show: An Award-winning Director Tells You How They Do It
With TINA LANDAU
After the script is done, creating a believable world for your show can be half the battle. Hear from key directors in the industry on how they make it easy for audiences to suspend their disbelief and connect with the story on stage.
3. Designing Your Story: Designing Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Virtual Theater
With DAVID KORINS, DEDE AYITE, and CLINT RAMOS
Have you ever pictured your show in a space that may not include a proscenium? Now’s the time to embrace all of the resources we have – including virtual theater. And in this panel, you’ll find out exactly how.
4. Getting Your Work Produced Across the Country: The Untapped Potential of Universities
With KEVIN COVERT and JOHN SIMPKINS
Your show’s first audience can happen almost anywhere in the world – so why not Universities? In this panel you’ll hear from a few Universities leading the way with new work initiatives and how you should take advantage of one of the most underutilized resources for theatermakers – colleges and universities.
5. Maintaining Momentum: Advancing Equity for BIPOC TheaterMakers Onstage And Off
With GENNEAN SCOTT and PUN BANDHU
The conversations have started, but the work continues. Join us in this panel to discuss the ongoing efforts to create an inclusive industry for all, and how you can implement them in your work.
6. The Next Generation of Broadway Producers: Paving The Way On The New Broadway
With RASHAD V. CHAMBERS, VALENTINA BERGER, and JJ MALEY
The times are a-changing! Kick start your work with a look at who is leading the way into the Broadway renaissance and how you can stay ahead of the game.
7. 3 Niches That Have Found Their Audience & Thrive: Faith, TYA, and Queer Theatre
With DARRYL RUEBEN HALL, JONATHAN RAND, and MARK MAURIELLO
If we learned anything in 2020, it’s that theater doesn’t HAVE to live on a stage to be theater. In this panel, these theatermakers share how to get your niche off the ground and make it a sustainable form of entertainment.
8. How I Got “Discovered”: The TheaterMaker’s Journey to Getting Produced on Broadway
With BESS WOHL, ANDREW LIPPA, and DOUGLAS LYONS
The journey to Broadway looks different for everyone. Find out in this panel how it’s looked for one theatermaker, and how it can look for you too.
9. “The Future Is Female”: How These Women Shaped Their Broadway Careers (and How You Can Too!)
With LEIGH SILVERMAN, GEORGIA STITT, MACY SCHMIDT, and NIKKI M. JAMES
Hear from the women leading the industry about the experiences that got them to Broadway and how you, too, can be inspired enough to start the journey.
10. A “How It Got To Broadway” Case Study: Thoughts of a Colored Man
With producer BRIAN MORELAND and STEVE BROADNAX II
An in-depth look into how Thoughts of a Colored Man got to Broadway.
11. The Non-Negotiable MUST Knows on Access & Inclusion in Theater
WITH BRANDON KAZEN-MADDOX AND ALIE B. GORRIE
The only way back is forward. In this panel, hear how you can take the first steps to creating an inclusive experience for your cast, crew, and audience.
12. “Getting Your Show Produced on the BEST Unconventional Platforms”
With DORI BERENSTEIN, SYDNEY CONNORS, and JIM McCARTHY
If you’re like most theatermakers, then you probably noticed unconventional theater platforms popping up throughout the pandemic. But do you know how those platforms became major players in today’s industry? This panel takes you through the steps of creating a show in some of the most unlikely of places.
13. Accessing Your Creativity and Productivity Through Self-Care
With SIERRA BOGGESS and CODY RENARD RICHARD
The saying goes “you can’t pour from an empty cup”. But how do you find that balance as a theatermaker? Get an inside look into how self-care can help you tap into a deeper part of your creativity and can set your work apart.
14. Going Viral: Level Up Your Social Media For You And Your Show
With TYLER MOUNT
In this panel, learn how to find your audience online before getting them into your theater.
15. Musical Theater TikTok: How Shows Have Found A Digital Audience
With ANNA-LEE WRIGHT, DANIEL MERTZLUFFT, and RJ CHRISTIAN
Want to learn how Remy got his nomination for an Emmy? Take an inside look at how TikTok became one of the leading players in the digital theater world over the last year, and how it can help your show.
This is just a taste of what we have planned for you next month! Keep your eye on this blog for more exciting announcements in the coming weeks.
TheaterMakers! What panel(s) are you most looking forward to attending? Any words of advice on how to make the most of your Summit experience for new attendees this year? Share with us in the comments below!
- Is Email Marketing Obsolete in 2021?
- Podcast Episode 20: How to Increase your Show’s Social Media
- From The Founder: The Definition of a Jukebox Musical